Red Monika inked piece – analysis
Hi, this is me,it has been a while ago sincemy last long post. I’ll write an update after this post.
I’d like to explain a little further this piece I am posting.
I am doing as many pieces as I can between jobs. Not always I am inking a piece in its entirely in one session, since my schedule needs to focus more on the paid jobs.
The reason for these pieces is to test some new techniques and also have some fun.
In this case, Red Monika as many of you would know, is a creation of Joe Madureira, which amerimanga and mainstream style is very admire for fans.
While inking: I took the decision to havethree min focuses on this piece. First of all I inked all the clothing giving more weight on the contours. I felt to give them more personality and some of the effects inkers like Joe Weems does while inking fabric. Not silk or satin, but fabric.
Then I inked all Red Monika’s body, using Hunt 102. It’s a neat tool, however I need to feel more comfortable on the feathering and totally concentrated while inking. If something is on my mind while inking I can not focus on giving my best effort. I tried to give wood and old metal texture details which I think it succeeded on the gun and sword handle part. After I did this body part I studied some of Jonathan Glapion’s texturing so I tried to give more depth on sleeves, under the nose and hair.
Last part I put more focus and was a real challenge was smoke that comes from the gun. For that I used a total different tool. a #1 brush.
On the negative note I think there was some mistakes. I can see a blur ink stain on Red Monika’s hair and some of the contour of the clothes.
So, I am overall quite happy on the result, but I can’t wait to show you my newest piece which may create quite a controversy.
Bests to all.